Tuesday, August 2, 2011


This is the only word that can describe the feeling I have right now! I am overflowing with JOY! Today was the big day, I had my first doctor appointment. When I got to the doctors' office I had to wait for almost an hour to be called back! I knew when I made my first appointment, that this was going to be the case, I just didn't know it was going to be as bad as it was. While I was waiting I was SO glad that I didn't have to take Eden with me {if I was bored, I can only imagine how she would have felt}. She was able to stay with a friend of mine who also has a child Eden's age. I will be watching the 2 kids later this week while my friend goes to the doctor, so I'll get a taste of what she had this morning!

Once I was finally called back to see the nurse, she simply took my medical history information and then we were going to call it a day. Say what? I thought I was finally going to get answers after having all the negative tests, low blood counts, and the ultrasound that was too early to see a heartbeat! When I realized they weren't planning on doing an ultrasound today, I asked the nurse and she confirmed that they weren't planning to do an ultrasound. I guess my hormones took over and tears started welling in my eyes. I tried to explain to the nurse why I had thought they'd do an ultrasound and I couldn't hold it together. I started crying. I think there was a part of my that was sad because I wanted to be able to come home and give Lane some news since I had to go to the appointment by myself. I apologized to the nurse for being a blubbering crazy lady and she just laughed it off and gave me a tissue. She also said that given the circumstances she would talk to the doctor and see if she had a minute to squeeze me in for an ultrasound to give me the clarification that I needed to keep me sane.

The doctor said she could do a quick bedside ultrasound for me so I could see the baby's heartbeat. She told me that she knew from personal experience that after a miscarriage and a rocky start that I wasn't being unreasonable by being a little emotional about not getting to see the heart beating. I thanked her and told her that I didn't want to be her annoying patient and she told me not to worry about it, she understood. Needless to say, she happily did the ultrasound and I saw the teeny baby and its little arm buds fluttering and its little heart pumping.
August 2 - Hard to see because I had to take a picture of the screen with my phone, but the little black space in the middle is where you need to look for the baby. They head is to the right, and the rump is to the left. The baby's length is measuring 2.4cm long - teeny tiny!
August 2 - 9 weeks, 1 day and due on March 5, 2010! Oh my goodness...this is getting real!!!!
She reminded me that because I'm not out of my first trimester that I'm not in the clear, but that with the heartbeat and a seemingly healthy looking baby, that things are looking good so far. Because I'm not in the clear, she has said that there's no reason for me to continue running right now. Once I'm in my second trimester I can continue running, but right now she recommended that I stick to light exercising only. I'm sad about that recommendation because I had finally started to enjoy running again, but I'm 110% in agreement with the doctor, so I will hold off for now. The doctor mainly gave me the recommendation because she doesn't want me to give myself a reason to question myself later if anything goes wrong.

So, for now, we are just saying prayers of thanks as we embark on the remaining days, weeks, and months of this pregnancy. I am excited to have concrete evidence of the baby with the ultrasound, and excited to see what's in store for our growing family. Next up, a doctor's appointment on the 30th of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment